Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Not-from-a-cow Products

So, since I mentioned that there are lots of good replacements for dairy products out there, I thought I should list a few that I like to use. And easy thing to remember when shopping for non-dairy items is "vegan". Anything labelled as vegan should contain no animal products, therefore, no dairy! Yay!

These are by no means the only ones out there or the best or whatever. And not all of them are vegan, so read the labels for yourselves when you're shopping. These companies have not paid me to say this. In fact, I doubt that they will ever even read this. That being said, these products, in no particular order, are my family's favorite items:
SoyaKaas Soy Cheese (Mozzarella and Monterrey Jack are our faves. They both melt very nicely.) I just found out this contains casein, milk protein. It IS lactose free though.
Rice Dream rice milk (vanilla or original, I'm very disappointed that there isn't an organic vanilla one)
Silk vanilla (the little single serving ones fit very nicely in sippy cups for road trips)
Organic Great Value soy milk (I use it mostly for cooking and it works just fine)
Silk soy yogurt (vanilla for eating, original for cooking)
O'Soy yogurt, strawberry and peach (these are a huge hit with Nadia)
SoDelicious soy "ice cream" (one of the best soy ice creams I've tried)
Coconut Bliss "ice cream" (I had to start making my own ice cream because this one was so good I couldn't afford to keep buying it!)
Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
Tofutti Better than Sour Cream
SoyaToo Soy Whip (like whipped cream)
Better Life Buttery Spread and Baking Sticks
Earth Balance vegan baking sticks (these are my fave)
Smart Balance Light (the one that says "vegan" on the side)
EnjoyLife semi-sweet chocolate chips (Holy monkeys, these things are AWESOME! I LOOOOOOOOVE them! I often feel the need to eat the entire bag at once. Ricky agrees that they are better than regular chocolate chips.)

Also, several of the Duncan Hines cake mixes and frostings are dairy-free (Devil's Food cake and Fluffy White and Chocolate frostings for sure). You just need to check the labels, because it's definitely not all of them. I haven't found ANY Pillsbury or Betty Crocker ones that are ok for us.

Anyway, hopefully this handy little list can help with some of the shopping needs. Maybe I'll remember I put it here next time we go visit someone so I don't have to rummage through the fridge looking for packages so I know what I buy.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this reminds me I wanted to ask if you all can eat products where there are no dairy ingredients listed, but there is a warning saying "may contain dairy" or "produced on machines with dairy products" or something like that. Basically are tiny traces of dairy ok, or would they be best to avoid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically, I should probably do the "avoid it all at all costs" thing, but I don't. If there's nothing listed and it still says that, I double check the ingredients list. This link has a handy dandy card that has all the dairy ingredients listed so you know what to watch out for. I really need to print it out and keep it in my wallet.
    http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

    ReplyDelete