Sunday, January 9, 2011

Introducing Carole (the Paleo one)

I have never enjoyed cooking. Ever. In my entire life. I wasn’t allowed to “help” in the kitchen when I was a kid and basically learned that it was a place to be avoided at all costs. I eventually taught myself how to cook, but I never enjoyed it. Having picky kids
to cook for didn’t give me much encouragement to experiment, either. But we all had to eat something, so I did my best. Sometimes it meant losing wooden spoons to the blender or cutting burnt bottoms off of biscuits, but no one went hungry.


When Leslie was in college, she got an advertisement in the mail for a marathon in Ireland. I called her and asked if she wanted it. She said no, but I decided to look into it. It turned out that it was for a fundraising team that would help train you for the marathon if you met fundraising goals for the team. Anyway, months later, after training like a mad woman (I had never been a runner before, after all) I found myself in Ireland running my first marathon ever. I finished it, by the way.

Since then I’ve been running like crazy and trying to get in the best shape that I can. I have really enjoyed this new chapter in my life and want to eat foods that help me to feel my best and let my body work efficiently to maintain all the hard work I've put in over the last few years. That led me to the Paleo diet. The Paleo diet is a high animal protein, low refined/processed food diet. What that means for me is eating a lot of meat and fruits and veggies, no grains, no beans, no sugar, no dairy, and (unfortunately)no compatible meals with my daughters. Or very few anyway. It’s a huge challenge to plan a menu for any time that we are all together. Hopefully by compiling all our favorite recipes here, we will be able to find some meals that we can all sit down and enjoy together.

Luckily the girls will voluntarily consume foods other than plain white rice and boiled chicken these days.




No comments:

Post a Comment