Thursday, February 24, 2011

Piña colada shrimp stir-fry

Last night could have been easier. Really, it could have! But dinner could not have been much easier than it was. Even after I made it WAY more complicated that it started out. I WAS going to make Garlic Chili Shrimp-where you basically sauté the garlic, toss in the shrimp, then season with a little salt, cayenne pepper, and lime. Then I thought I'd toss in a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies (the asparagus stir-fry that Wal-Mart carries is delicious), some frozen red bell pepper strips, a can of pineapple, and some coconut milk. And this is what I came up with. I served it with brown rice that I had leftover from the night before.

~1 pound shrimp (I used the precooked kind because I'm lazy and I'm terrified of undercooking seafood)
1 bag (maybe a pound?) frozen stir-fry veggies, thawed (Or not, if you're in a hurry...)
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 20 oz (I think) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 13.6 oz can coconut milk
minced garlic, cayenne pepper (crushed or powder, whichever you prefer), salt, olive oil

Put a little olive oil in pan and sauté garlic lightly, for about a minute. Add veggies, pineapple, and shrimp, mixing everything together to keep the garlic from burning. When everything has heated through, about 5 minutes, drain excess liquid. Add coconut milk and heat through again. Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.

I'm guessing this would be really good with some lime, but (hold on to your chairs--this will be a shock) we were out. Ricky put a little soy sauce in his and said that was pretty good, too. He also said it would be excellent without the shrimp, in case I ever wanted to make it that way. I'll try to remember to get a picture tonight when I eat the leftovers. Anyway, I wanted to post this because mom is always talking about how good the coconut shrimp at that Chinese place is and how she can never find a good coconut shrimp recipe. I'm sure it's not exactly the same, but maybe it will help satisfy the craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment